Need a beginner’s guide to SEO keywords? Welcome, you have come to the right place!
If you are looking to build a website or have heard about WordPress, then you might have come across the term SEO. But what is SEO? And why is it given the utmost priority by the website builders?
Here is our “SEO Basic: Beginner’s Guide to SEO Keywords.” As the title suggests, in this post, you will learn about SEO and SEO keywords. Let us dive into the topic right away!
Introduction to SEO
SEO or full form Search Engine Optimization, is the process of optimization of the website to improve its visibility in the search engines. Internet users use different online platforms to search for information which are known as search engines. Google, Yahoo, and Bing are some of the most popular search engines.
The main objective of SEO is to improve the website’s ranking in the search engine. When your website becomes visible on the top pages, it increases the organic traffic to your website. More increased traffic means more potential customers and the opportunity for more revenue.
The organic traffic is non-paid. Hence, it is different from paid search engine advertising. It refers to optimizing the website in a way that organically shows on the top search results. Unlike paid advertising, SEO is economical and sustainable for a long time.
In today’s time, there is fierce competition for websites on the internet. As a result, without an SEO optimization strategy, it has become difficult for small startups, online businesses, and website creators to be successful. Therefore, SEO has become an important marketing tactic in an ever-expanding industry.
Is WordPress Worth Investing In For Your E-Commerce Business? Read here to find out!
How does SEO work?
Now that we know what SEO is, let us dive into how SEO works. The digital market has continuously been changing. As a result of the constantly evolving landscape, SEO has become more important than ever. So how does it work?
For any query in today’s time, you can simply ask the internet and it will pretty much provide you the answers. The search engines scan the internet for web pages that are made known to the search engines and extract only the required information.
All search engines use mathematical algorithms to identify and catalog the data presented on every webpage of the websites. The three factors that search engine algorithms use to determine the results are technical, content, and links. Based on the quality and quantity of the content, the webpage is likely to rank high or low on the search engine results.
With the help of SEO strategy, the website is optimized in a way that it pops up in the search engine results pages (SERPs) for specific keywords and phrases related to the content of the website. Similarly, providing URLs to search engines also helps the website to appear in SERPs.
The keywords are what the users use to search for information online. Some other factors that search engines use to determine the webpage ranking are:
- Internal and External links
- Page speed and experience
- On-page optimization etc.
Introduction to SEO Keywords
Keywords in SEO are words or phrases that internet users enter into search engines to find information. It isn’t too farfetched to say that without keywords, SEO is not possible.
The keywords should be relevant to the content. It should also be relevant to the words in the search engine so that audiences can find the content among the SERP results. After all the main objective of SEO is to bring organic traffic to the website and rank high in the search engines.
Normally, the keywords used in SEO can be divided into two. They are:
- Head or short tail keywords: The head keywords consist of one or two words. They are board and general keyword that receives a high volume of search. They can generate significant website traffic, however, they are highly competitive.
- Tail or long tail keywords: The long tail keywords are specific, detailed, and longer than head keywords. Usually, searchers use these keywords to look for precise information. Because the keywords are longer, the search volume is lower but easily ranked.
Where to use SEO Keywords?
After understanding what keywords are you should also know where to use the keywords for it to work effectively. The primary areas where you should use the keywords are:
- Title tags: These tags appear in both search results and browser tabs. Title tags are designed for humans as well as search engine robots. If you can provide brief information on the title tags, you can attract more clicks. Avoid using vague titles.
- Headings: The headings make the text scannable for humans while indicating the topic’s relevance to the search engine. Similarly, by reading the headings and subheadings, the visitors can assess the content with their needs.
- Meta Descriptions: The meta descriptions are displayed in the search result entry. Based on the descriptions, the visitors decide whether to read the full content or move on. Therefore, it is extremely important to use the right keywords here.
- Content body: The content body should include the SEO keywords. It is an important place where you should keywords because it affects the SEO ranking factors. Provide visitors with quality content that provides real value to them. Avoid keyword stuffing.
- URLs: The URLs are addresses of the web pages. They are visible in the search results and the address bar. It is best to maintain short and sensible URLs incorporating one or two keywords that visitors can understand.
Finding the right Keywords
Before you begin with SEO optimization, you need to research the right keywords. It helps the website builders to find and analyze what terms are used in search engines. This insight helps to boost the SEO strategy and keep up with the market trend.
The most effective way to find the best keywords is via keyword research tools. Google Keyword Planner, Google Trends, SEMrush, and KeywordTool.io are some best tools out there.
Aside from using research tools, you can find the keywords for SEO in the following ways:
- Understand the topic.
- Find a list of words that are relevant to your topic.
- Make a list of seed keywords.
- Analyze the keywords your competitors are using.
- Brainstorm for out-of-the-box keywords.
- Use sites like Amazon to find e-commerce keywords.
SEO is an essential component of digital marketing. It has become quite impossible for companies, businesses, and creators to survive without proper SEO optimization of their websites.
We hope with the help of our guide to SEO keywords, you were able to learn about SEO, how it works, keywords in SEO, and how to find them. While it is easy to learn about SEO, mastering it takes years of learning.